Make time to be active...
Moving your body can be a great way to relieve stress, improve your mood, clear your mind and give you the energy to tackle those tough days. And it doesn't have to be "exercise" either. Just look to move your body in ways that you enjoy. Maintaining physically active lifestyles as we age is particularly important too as our body's ability to move really is a case of "use it or lose it".
The benefits of being active
Research indicates that those who are more physically active are less likely to suffer from poor mental health or depression. Plus, moderate exercise lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer as well as reduce the risks and complications associated with diabetes. Did you know that exercise can even help you to grow new brain cells?!
Need more convincing? Here are even more reasons how being active can have a positive impact on your overall health and wellbeing. Physical activity:
- Makes you feel happier.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- builds and maintains stronger muscles and bones.
- Increases your energy levels.
- Reduces your risk of chronic disease.
- Improves your quality of sleep
- Is fun!
- Increases your self-esteem
- Improves posture and balance
How to be 'Active'
Being active doesn't need to be overly complicated. You can achieve this through:-
- Integrating movement into your day by taking the stairs and walking places rather than driving if at all possible
- Yoga or Pilates
- Going to the gym or swimming pool
- Playing with the kids
- Joining a local sports club where you can stay active as well as meet and connect with others
- Walking the dog
- Go for a bike ride
- Grab a workmate/s and head down to your local green space for a game of your choice or even just some valuable time in natural sunlight
- If you’re short on time just take a quick walk around the block, appreciate the fresh air and a chance to clear your head. It’ll do wonders for your energy levels throughout the day
- Organise a lunchtime walk, jog or bike if that’s more your thing
Find out what your fitness foundation is...
The Health Hub program provides you with your own personal health report and insights into how you can make changes to improve and track your health and wellbeing.
HealthHub is our free wellbeing programme for all Accuro members, their friends and families. In fact, we are the only health insurer to offer a free programme to our membership.
HealthHub has recipes, activities, articles, special offers and more to support you to stay healthy and well.
Find out more and register here.